Wednesday, December 28, 2011

It's Time For Hospice

The past several weeks have been rough for Cheryl. As I posted earlier, we came home early from a visit with my family in Thomasville, GA because Cheryl was having intense headaches, nausea and double vision. Friday evening, we went straight to the emergency room in Savannah where they got her pain down to a tolerable level. On Saturday, the doctor called her in a prescription for steroids to reduce what they thought might be brain inflammation. Then on the Monday after Thanksgiving she was admitted to the hospital and was diagnosed with metastatic tumors in her brain and cancer cells in her spinal fluid. She took the first four of ten whole brain radiation treatments while in the hospital and then continued the remainder as an outpatient until December 12th.

During this whole time she has been on Dexamethasone (oral steroid) and various pain killers and endured their side effects. We have both noticed that she has been having increased difficulty in standing, her balance is poor and her muscle tone is poor. She's having to use a walker for support unless she is standing next to a piece of furniture or other stable object that she can hold onto. She's also been commenting that her double vision has been getting worse.

This past Friday, we took her in to the Low Country Cancer Center for a bag of IV fluids and that seemed to help the headache and double vision for a few hours but by Saturday afternoon, she was having trouble reading the scores on her football games.

As the week has progressed, she has gotten weaker and her vision has gotten worse. She is no longer able to read texts on her cell phone and she has trouble focusing well enough to send out texts or read medicine labels. Cheryl had an appointment scheduled for this Friday with the oncologist but I called in yesterday and described her condition and they told me to bring her in today at 2:30.

Dr. Negrea had a short talk with us, looked her over and reviewed her file and let us know that because she has carcinomatous meningitis (the cancer has spread into the lining of the brain and the central nervous system) that there is not much else they can do for her. They had talked earlier of doing spinal chemotherapy but he said that doing that or the alternative delivery of putting a port through her skull directly into her brain would not be effective for very long. At best, going through either of these procedures might add a few weeks of life and that both had a lot of potentially bad side effects.

Dr. Negrea told us that in his opinion, if it were himself or one of his family members with this condition that he would not opt for the treatment. He recommended that we get in contact with one of the local hospice organizations and make arrangements for Cheryl's decline. I mentioned that in my reading and research that I'd seen prognosis for survival at about three months and he agreed that based on his experience, that is about as good a guess as anyone could make.

Before we left, he hugged Cheryl with tears in his eyes and told us to hold on to our faith. Pray for grace for us in the days to come and also remember those that spend their lives caring for people that often don't have long-term survival.

As we figure out what we are doing we will continue to keep the blog updated. Cheryl is up to phone calls. Don't worry about disturbing her, if she is tired, she will let you know that she doesn't feel up to talking at the moment but most of the time she is really cheered up by contact with the outside world.

5 comments:

  1. Dear Cheryl, I continue to pray for relief from pain and that the presence of our Lord will surround you so wonderfully that His nearness is all that really matters. I love you, my first Hinesville friend, and I pray for great joy even in the midst of this trial. Our hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ alone and He will sustain us all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Sweet Cheryl and Jud
    All my prayers and love are with you. Have faith, have strength, have courage, and may God be with you at this time.
    Nellie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cheryl and Jud, Don and I continue to remember you both in prayer. I am praying specifically for relief from the pain and nauseau. I pray also that you will feel the presence and comfort of our Lord so strongly that He will overshadow the discomforts you are having. I love you, dear sister, and wish we lived closer so that we could spend some time together. I look forward to eternity with you!

    Lots of love,
    Cathi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathi, Cheryl says that if it weren't for you that she wouldn't have that hope of eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Jud. You are two of the Greatest people i know. Thank you for being yourselves. I miss you both but i'm glad i got to see you and paint that painting. I'm not the greatest painter but i enjoy it(i'm going to strive to be much better at it) and its a peice of me that had to be sent with you. i love you both i continue to pray for you . Love- Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete